For almost 100-years four Masonic constitutions were based in the Otago County, namely the English, Irish, Scottish, and later, the New Zealand Constitutions. In April 1958, representatives from all four gathered to discuss the possibility of establishing a Masonic home for the aged in the city. A committee was created and the following month they formed The Southern Masonic Association. This organisation was officially launched in September 1958 at the Masonic Lodge in Moray Place, Dunedin in the presence of 200 Freemasons. 44 Lodges being represented. This Association became the charitable arm of Freemasonry in the Otago region from then on. In 1976 the name was changed to the Otago Masonic Charitable Trust.